Sunday, January 16, 2011

you want me to eat what?

You want me to eat whaaaaat? Said in my best minon voice. I have been researching the benefits on eating lacto fermented foods. What is that you ask.....think rotten but still safe to eat pretty much. Ok, ok not really but kinda.

I got into this book called Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz. My fist adventure is going to be making sauerkraut. Amazingly enough all you do in theory is shred cabbage sprinkle with salt cram it into a jar cover the kraut inside the jar and cover the whole thing with a cloth and wait.... a while.

On that note I am also going to try my hand at kombucha. I hate hate hate paying $3.50 a bottle for it, and I could honestly drink a bottle a day. So there is a process of fermenting your own tea, adding a scoby...aka the stuff that makes it ferment, and sugar and you wait... again with the waiting. I am beginning to wonder if there is something to this way of life. That it takes time to grow and can and ferment your own food, with that time you actually get to know your life and the people in it. Seems pretty simple to me.

So I will post pics of my kraut journey and my kombucha journey and let you know how it all turns out.....in a while. But I recommend that book for cool ways to make your own stuff...and by stuff I mean fermented food that will help aid in digestion- think pro-biotics.

I'm off to shred the cabbage, the wonderful cabbage I'll rot...hehehe Wizard of OZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment