Monday, December 6, 2010

I'll have a green Christmas

Ok so we have less than 3 weeks until D-day....ok it is not that bad but to a mom who desires to be green it is pretty close.

How in the world does one have a green Christmas? Do you cut a fresh tree since it can be replaced, but it will take years to grow back up. Do you put up a fake one so you can reuse it year after year? But if you go that route eventually it HAS to end up in a landfill.

Ugh then there are Christmas lights.... we have recycled all of our so we are now a 100% LED llighted  house! That has to count for something!

Ok and then there are gifts.... what to buy... or not to buy. I have a mental checklist of the thing I want my gift to have or not have....
Is it made in America? If not is it from China, and will there be lead in it?
Does it have a recall?
Is it fair trade if it is made in another country?
Is it made from recycled materials? Is the packaging made from recycled materials? ect. ect ect.

So I am of the mind that I will do my best, to keep in mind the check list. And this year like many previous years we will be doing as many homemade gifts as possible. Last year it was full of recycled home made crayons, scented play dough, real sock monkey dolls, and a hand painted tic tac toe set. My kids didn't lack for anything. This year they are a little bit older and little bit wiser. Gifts CAN come from a store! Crap they figured it out! SO I am playing the we have no money card.

I informed them we have a tight budget, and I was going to make them a bunch of their gifts. I got groans, but little do they know I think they will like what I am making them. I have already made my daughter a memory board that I up cycled from my old cork board and scrap fabric and ribbons. I also am making each child a bean bag chair... bought the fabric for 1.29 a yard, and the char needs 3 yrds. I am going to post on free cycle that I need packing peanuts to fill them... grand total 8 bucks per chair give or take! I am also sewing them jammie pants, and a robe if time does not run out.... hmmm I should really get sewing!

How do you green up your Christmas? Got any tips for me??

1 comment:

  1. I have had my Artificial tree now since i was 5 so its 17 years and counting and still in great shape. take care to store it so its not damaged and you can use it forever

    ReplyDelete